Two men killed in riverbank collapse during suspected gold mining

Iklan
Two men were killed after being buried under a two-metre riverbank collapse, believed to have occurred during illegal gold mining activity at a tributary near Jerimbong Oil Palm Estate here on Wednesday night. Photo: Fire and Rescue Department

A third man reportedly survived the incident, which took place at about 8.20pm.

JELI - Two men were killed after being buried under a two-metre riverbank collapse, believed to have occurred during illegal gold mining activity at a tributary near Jerimbong Oil Palm Estate here on Wednesday night.

A third man reportedly survived the incident, which took place at about 8.20pm.

Iklan
Iklan

Jeli Fire and Rescue Station chief Asst Supt Adni Ibrahim said his team received an emergency call about the burial before a team was dispatched to the scene.

He said the rescue operation faced difficulties as firemen could not bring heavy machinery into the estate due to a narrow access road.

Iklan

"The operation commander informed that the team had to use Hilux pickup trucks to reach the location.

"The search operation began at 9.20pm and it was confirmed that two victims had been buried under a two-metre riverbank collapse at the tributary," he said when contacted on Thursday.

Iklan

He said the first victim was found at 9.25pm and the second at 11.18pm. Both men, believed to be in their 30s, were pronounced dead at the scene.

"The operation concluded at 11.40pm," he said.

Iklan

Adni said nine personnel from the Jeli Fire and Rescue Station were involved, supported by a Fire Rescue Tender, Emergency Medical Rescue Services unit and a Rapid Response Vehicle.