"I am sorry" says Najib after failing to recuse CJTUAN BUQHAIRAH TUAN MUHAMAD ADNAN
PUTRAJAYA – “I am sorry, I have tried my best.”
These were the words of former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak to his supporters after the Federal Court rejected his bid to recuse Chief Justice Tengku Maimun Tuan Mat from presiding over his final SRC International appeal hearing.
Nontheless, Najib told his supporters who gathered at the Palace of Justice since earlier today, that the "fight must go on until victory is achieved."
“For now, we will wait for the decision. If it is bad, I apologise,” he said.
Earlier, Najib filed an application to recuse Tengku Maimun from hearing the appeal on grounds that her husband, Datuk Zamani Ibrahim, had “negative sentiments” towards his leadership, which he expressed in a Facebook post in the aftermath of the 14th general election.
In the post, Zamani spoke about the fall of the Barisan Nasional government on May 9, 2018, and that he was “happy because Najib had been dethroned”.
In today’s ruling, Tengku Maimun said her husband’s Facebook post four years ago had no nexus to the SRC International case.
“This (SRC International) case had yet to exist,” she said, pointing out that Najib was only charged in July that year.
Najib is appealing against his conviction on all seven charges brought against him for abuse of power, criminal breach of trust and money laundering involving RM42 million of funds belonging to SRC International.
He was sentenced to 12 years’ jail and a RM210 million fine two years ago.
Meanwhile, security measures continues to be tightened within the vicinity of the court to prevent untoward events.