Lance Corporal who shot his pregnant wife suffers from depression, says mother-in-law.

06 Mar 2023 03:52pm

KANGAR - A police Lance Corporal who is believed to have shot his wife to death, has been suffering from depression for several years now.

His mother-in-law Che Mas Taha, 63 said her son-in-law was already showing signs of depression during the last Hari Raya Aidiladha celebration.

Recounting her memories, she said the suspect drove his car aimlessly until it ran out of fuel. He was stranded on the side of the highway.

"At that time, my daughter (Safsufarnisya Salleh, 26) had to ask a colleague to help find her husband.

"My son-in-law was said to be performing prayers at the side of the highway and was crying for no reason," she said when met at her home in Kampung Bendang Baru Simpany Empat here today.

She said she was very close with her son-in-law, who came from Setiu, Terengganu.

"After they got married, they moved to live with me and my husband (Salleh Ezan, 61) because my husband was ill as he suffers from stage four colon cancer.

"He was the one who took us to the hospital for check-ups, going as far as going to Alor Setar. Our other children live far away from us," she said.

Related Articles:

Che Mas added that she loved the suspect like her own son, even though he was only her son-in-law.

"I really love him like my own son; he treated us well, and I would never imagine things would turn out this bad," she said.

The mother of four children added that her youngest daughter (the victim) was a housewife, and she had a good relationship with the suspect; they never quarrelled.

"My child was five months pregnant; every time they went for an examination, they seemed to have no problem and were happy since the day they got married two years ago.

"Perhaps this is a test for us, as a family. I pray that I am strong enough to face this challenge," she said.

Che Mas said Safsufarnisya's remains will be buried at Masjid Simpat Empat Muslim cemetery here after the post-mortem process at Hospital Sultanah Bahiyah, Alor Setar, Kedah.

In the incident on Sunday, the 26-year-old woman had died after she was shot in one of the rooms at their house.

Kangar District Police Chief Assistant Commissioner Yusharifuddin Mohd Yusop said the police received a report of the incident at 7.26 am.