Malays 'lost everything' after I resign, claims Dr Mahathir
SHAH ALAM - Former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad claims that the Malays 'lost everything' after he resigned as prime minister.
He added that he tried to reinstate the community's condition after the 14th general election (GE14) when he became the prime minister.
"But the Pakatan Harapan (PH) government was overthrown and I lost my position as prime minister.
"That is why I'm now joining in efforts to make the Malays' realise the issues they are facing through the 'Malay Proclamation' gathering.
"The contents of the proclamation complies with the Federal Constitution and Umno's constitution.
"I'm complaining now because the Malays lost everything after I resigned as prime minister. Its true that the Malays have become so poor after I was no longer the prime minister," he said in a statement on his official Facebook account.
The 97-year-old also claimed the Malay Proclamation gathering was cancelled due to the interference of the government.
Umno, he added, has deviated from its initial objective as it did not protest the obstruction of the gathering.
"That's why other parties need to protect the rights of Malays and other Bumiputera," he added.
Meanwhile, Dr Mahathir also demanded Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim retract his claim that the former had used his position to enrich his family and himself when he was in power.
"I want Anwar to provide proof that I enriched my family and myself.
"Making accusations is easy, but accusations that are not clearly proven cannot be accepted as the truth. It's a slander," he said.
Dr Mahathir previously criticised the government for not allowing the March 19 gathering to take place, adding that the Malays had the right to gather and have their voice heard.
However, Dr Mahathir did not detail his allegations or provide any evidence of government intervention in the matter.