Ravichandran once again expresses gratitude towards Sherpa

05 Jun 2023 11:23am
 Malaysian climber T Ravichandran. -Filepic
Malaysian climber T Ravichandran. -Filepic

SHAH ALAM - Malaysian climber T. Ravichandran has once again expressed his deep appreciation for Gelje Sherpa, a Nepali Sherpa who was crucial in rescuing him.

Ravichandran, or better known as Ravi Everest took to his Facebook page to commend Sherpa and Global Rescue Inc for their outstanding efforts in his rescue.

“Global Rescue Ins did a good job in my rescue at Camp 3 (7300 meter) and did a long line pick-up and sent me to hospital in Kathmandu very quickly.

“Tashi Sherpa managed the rescue and coordinated very well with Global Rescue. Always grateful to those involved in my rescue,” he said in a statement.

The Facebook post has gained 128 reactions.

Facebook user Madeleine Ella remarked that he has done so much for others and is fully reserved to be on the receiving end.

“Proud of you. You fully deserve to be on the receiving end. I and many others are grateful for you and grateful that it was recognised you needed a hand,” she added.

Earlier, Ravichandran, who narrowly survived Mount Everest, faced criticism from social media users for allegedly not acknowledging or expressing gratitude towards a Sherpa, who saved him.

Related Articles:

The incident sparked heated debates among social media users with some accusing Ravichandran of blocking Gelje Sherpa.

Twitter user, im_tristupe said; "You are alive today because of a sherpa and his friend who took you down to safety, and it was documented for everyone to see. Acknowledge that.”

Gelje, aged 30, was reportedly guiding a Chinese client towards the summit of Mount Everest, standing at 8,849 metres (29,032 feet), on May 18.

Gelje spotted Ravichandran in a distressed state as Ravi was clinging to a rope and experiencing severe cold in an area known as the "death zone," where temperatures can dip to minus 30 degrees Celsius or even lower.

Gelje courageously hauled him 600 metres down from the Balcony to the South Col over a period of about six hours, where Nima Tashi Sherpa, another guide, joined in the rescue work.

He was also reported as saying that he persuaded his Chinese client to give up his summit attempt and descend the mountain, saying it was important for him to rescue the stranded climber.

More Like This