'Everything will be alright my children, Babah and Mama are here' - TMJ recalls terrifying Bangkok mall shooting

04 Oct 2023 09:08am
Tunku Ismail shares on the moment of anxiety he had gone through in the Bangkok shooting incident
Tunku Ismail shares on the moment of anxiety he had gone through in the Bangkok shooting incident

JOHOR BAHRU - Tunku Mahkota Johor, Tunku Ismail Sultan Ibrahim, expressed his relief and gratitude for his safety after yesterday's shooting incident at a mall in Bangkok, where he was nearby.

"Alhamdulillah, we're safe," the Johor Crown Prince wrote on his Facebook page.

He recounted that he was at a hotel nearby the Siam Paragon Mall in Bangkok, Thailand when the gunfire that took the lives of two individuals broke out.

Many, Tunku Ismail remarked, were screaming running into the hotel from the mall when shots were fired.

“It was loud and there were so many screams. We were sitting at the hotel lobby at the time.

“We brought our children to a safe location, as we were running underground with my team...all I could think of was how many shooters were out there, what weapons were they using and what was the situation.

“We had to be careful and prepared for any possibilities as the only information we had at the time was that shots were being fired,” he said.

Tunku Ismail recalled the time he calmed down his children who were crying and afraid.

“I told my children ‘Everything will be alright, Babah and Mama are here’ and we asked them to stay crouched while waiting for the vehicle to arrive.

“My security team and I stood in front of my family, acting as human shields, in case anything happens. All I could think of at that time was get them out of the area safely.

“My wife hugged our children, trying to calm them down as they were in fear and were crying,” he explained.

He then screamed at the top of his lungs, asking his team to bring the vehicle to the basement so that they could be brought to safety.

“I told them to bring us to the Malaysian Embassy and the driver told us the Singapore Embassy was much closer and I contacted the Singapore Consul General in Johor.

“We are now safe. I contacted the Prime Minister and the Defence Minister to inform them of what happened. The Malaysian Ambassador was also with us,” he said.

Tunku Ismail said after ensuring it was safe, their family would return to the airport and fly home to Johor.

“Unfortunately, I missed the JDT match, but I am thankful that my family and team were safe. This was the worst experience I’ve had.

“Protecting the lives of my children from murderers. Two individuals in the gunfire was killed. May Allah bless the souls of the inncocent,

“Thank you to my security team and our friends from Singapore and Malaysia. I will forever be thankful for all of you,” he said.

Tunku Ismail, the owner of the JDT football club was in Bangkok for the Asia Champions League match which saw JDT won its first Group I victory against Thailand's BG Pathum United.

More Like This