Deadly chase: Chronology of Zaharif's murder case in Ipoh

18 Dec 2023 04:00pm
Nazri, whose rank is DSP is accused of causing the death of Zaharif near Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Jati here between 12.05 pm and 12.40 pm on Dec 15. Photo by Bernama
Nazri, whose rank is DSP is accused of causing the death of Zaharif near Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Jati here between 12.05 pm and 12.40 pm on Dec 15. Photo by Bernama

In an incident that captured the nation's attention last week, the late 17-year-old student Mohammad Zaharif Affendi Muhd Zamrie was preparing to go to the mosque to perform Friday prayers near SMK Jati in Ipoh when he tragically lost his life after a car ran over his motorcycle.

Zaharif who was on his motorcycle allegedly caught the attention of a policeman with loud revving and for reasons yet unclear, Zaharif sped away on his vehicle and the policeman, who according to reports was irritated with the noise, started to pursue him.

The pursuit ended tragically almost a kilometre later when the car collided with Zaharif's motorcycle on Jalan Taman Jati, leading to the teenager's untimely demise.

Below are the complete details regarding the unfortunate incident where a boy lost his life due to road rage.

An unfortunate encounter

Day 1- Dec 15, 2023

Zaharif, riding a motorcycle, drew attention by revving loudly, prompting the policeman Mohd Nazri Abdul Razak in a Perodua Ativa to take notice. The events leading to the escalation remain unclear, however, Zaharif accelerated away with the Ativa in pursuit.

The pursuit, covering nearly a kilometre, tragically concluded when the Ativa collided with Zaharif's motorcycle along Jalan Taman Jati, causing the teenager to be thrown off.

Related Articles:

According to reports, he was dragged for almost five metres.

Following this, a crowd gathered at the location, leading the Ativa to speed away.

The policeman filed a report at a nearby police station. Zaharif's sister, Nur Zawani, a trained nurse, arrived at the scene upon acknowledgement of the incident.

Despite her attempts at resuscitating her brother, Zaharif could not be revived.

Their father Muhd Zamrie Zainal Abidin then arrived, cradling his son's head as they recited the 'syahadah' before Zaharif passed away.

Zaharif's body underwent autopsy at Raja Permaisuri Bainun Hospital, where chest and abdominal injuries were listed as the cause of death from the crash. The teenager was laid to rest at Kampung Kepayang Luar Muslim Cemetery.

Meanwhile, the police officer was arrested and remanded for three days.

A grieving family demands justice

Day 2- Dec 16, 2023

Zawani told reporters that the policeman, who collided with her brother, returned to the scene but took no action to assist. She asserted that it was the man's wife who approached and apologised for the tragedy.

She said that at the time, her brother was still alive but struggling to breathe at that time. She recounted that the woman explained her husband's "short temper" and sensitivity to loud motorcycle noises.

The family is appealing for any witnesses to step forward and share information about the incident.

Posters demanding justice following Zaharif's death are cropping up in the Ipoh city centre with the words 'Justice for Muhammad Zaharif Affendi,

In the meantime, Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Tan Sri Razarudin Husain ensures that the inquiry into the teenager's death will be fair, transparent, and thorough.

Case classified as murder

Day 3 - Dec 17, 2023

Zaharif's family has enlisted the services of a lawyer to explore the possibility of initiating a civil suit regarding the boy's tragic death.

Zawani, expressed the family's hope for the suspect to face charges under Section 302 of the Penal Code for murder.

Describing the scene, she stated, "I saw his (the police officer's) face. He was not panicking at all. He was not scared. He just looked like a bystander who happened to be there just to see the accident."

Later that day, Attorney-General Datuk Ahmad Terrirudin Mohd Salleh confirmed that the suspect would indeed be charged with murder in the Ipoh Magistrate's Court.

Shortly thereafter, the IGP told a local news outlet that the Attorney General's Chambers (AGC) decision demonstrated the police's commitment to transparency in the investigation.

He expressed hope that the case would serve as a lesson to all policemen, emphasising the importance of avoiding misconduct and upholding the force's reputation.

DSP charged for the murder of Zaharif

Day 4 - Dec 18, 2023

Nazri was charged in the Magistrate’s Court here today with the murder of Zaharif.

The accused arrived at the Ipoh Magistrate Court at about 9am dressed in white T-shirt and black shorts with his head covered by a black cloth.

There were claims of special treatment being received by the D9 officer as he had earlier been transported through a different route to enter the court and gets to hide his face with a cloth.

The suspect, attached to the CID department, was seen heavily escorted by CID officers and accompanied by his lawyer Jacky Low Yap Loong.

In the courtroom, no plea was recorded from the accused when the charge was read out before Magistrate S. Punitha, as the case is under the jurisdiction of the High Court.

The court scheduled the mention for Feb 7 next year, awaiting toxicology reports.

More Like This