Hidden danger in the honeypot: Why babies and honey don't mix

25 Dec 2023 08:00pm
Photo source: Pixabay/PEXELS.
Photo source: Pixabay/PEXELS.

HONEY, known for its sweetness and potential health benefits, might surprise you with a hidden risk.

While its antioxidants and immune-boosting properties are valuable, this natural sweetener can be deadly for babies under one year old.

Dr Qarafi Tee, a doctor who gained attention on TikTok, recently shared a cautionary tale.

A three-month-old baby who refused to breastfeed was hospitalised with weakness (hypertonia).

The case took a dramatic turn when the baby, despite treatment, needed intensive care for a lung infection and breathing difficulties.

The mystery finally unraveled through a stool sample test.

It revealed the culprit: Clostridium botulinum, a bacterium lurking in some honey.

This bacterium produces a toxin that can paralyse a child's muscles.

Related Articles:

"Honey, unfortunately, was the source of the infection," he said.

Photo source: Pixabay/PEXELS.
Photo source: Pixabay/PEXELS.

He highlighted studies showing that up to 10 per cent of honey can contain Clostridium botulinum.

The toxin released by this bacterium is the silent danger, potentially leading to paralysis.

This story serves as a stark reminder that babies' digestive systems are immature and vulnerable to the toxins found in honey.

Dr Qarafi strongly urges parents and caregivers to avoid giving honey to infants under one year old.

The sweetness, in this case, can come at a life-threatening cost.