From winning Oscars to embracing Islam, here are some facts about AR Rahman
Fans are all hyped up to catch AR Rahman in action tonight!
AR Rahman, in full Allah Rakha Rahman is an Indian composer who has earned a nickname 'Mozart of Madras' for his extensive body work.
Here are some fun facts about the music maestro.
1. Rahman was born into a Hindu family as Dileep Kumar, he then embraced Islam at the age of 23 after he met his spritual guru, Qadri Islam
2. Rahman's talent was noticed by director Mani Ratnam, and it was for his Tamil film 'Roja' that he started film scoring. He won National Film Award along with huge success and popularity.
3. AR Rahman set the record as the very first person of Indian descent to have won 2 Oscar awards in the same year for 'Slumdog Millionaire'.
4. He is known for the phrase 'Yellam Puzhalgum Iraivanike' which means 'All Praise is to the God'. That was his first word on stage after receiving his Oscar awards.
5. Apart from Slumdog Millionaire, Rahman also composed for other Hollywood films like 127 Hours and Lord Of War.
6. AR Rahman and his son Ameen shares the same birth date, which is on January 6.
7. Before he stepped into the entertainment industry, Rahman was seen in Doordarhan's Wonder Balloon as a kid where he shot to fame for being the kid who could play not one but four keyboards at once.
8. A street in Markham, Ontario, Canada was named 'A.R. Rahman' to celebrate his talent and achievements.
The singer last performed in Malaysia six years ago. If you're heading for the show tonight, you can also our very own pop queen Datuk Siti Nurhaliza share the same stage with him as she has been selected to perform as the guest artiste.