Don't forget to pay me RM120,000, Mahfuz tells Kedah MB
ALOR SETAR - Kedah Pakatan Harapan (PH) chairman Datuk Mahfuz Omar reminds Kedah Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor to pay him a compensation amount of RM120,000 as decided by the Putrajaya Court of Appeal.
He said up until now, Sanusi has yet to settle the claim, even though the payment period had been set for 14 days from the order process.
He said if the Jeneri assemblyman wanted to delay the payment, he should contact the lawyer.
"Sanusi needs to pay immediately because the High Court gave a 14-day period after the order was made.
"Back then, he asked for an extension because he wanted to appeal to the Court of Appeal. However, no amendments were made except that the compensation amount had increased from RM50,000 to RM120,000," he said.
Mahfuz said Sanusi should not wait until a court order is issued because the decision has already been made.
"It means you don't have to wait for a court order to pay; just pay directly. But perhaps he wants to appeal to the Federal Court, then he has to tell my lawyer.
"I will also instruct my lawyer to file a cross-appeal in court, possibly to ask for an increase from RM120,000 to RM240,000," he explained.
He said a public apology should also be made based on the claim, but none has been done so far.
Mahfuz also jokingly uploaded a video to remind Sanusi to pay the compensation on Twitter.
On April 3, the Court dismissed Sanusi's appeal and instead approved Mahfuz's application to increase the compensation amount from RM50,000 to RM120,000.
Mahfuz filed the suit on Oct 9, 2019, over a post made by Sanusi on his Facebook account on July 30 the same year, linking Mahfuz to Sports Toto gambling premises, which were relocated to the Pokok Sena area.
Mahfuz's lawyer, Noorazmir Zakaria, informed him that a claim notice was sent to an individual known as Mamu and the Tik Tok account owner @sembangkedaikopi who had published defamatory words against Mahfuz regarding the same issue.
"The individual had reposted Sanusi's Facebook post dated July 30, 2019, which has already been ruled as defamation by the High Court and the Court of Appeal.
"Therefore, a notice of demand was issued on April 18, demanding a public apology through the Tiktok account," he said.