'We will defend Sabahans from claims by Sulu Sultan heirs' PM says

MINDERJEET KAUR
MINDERJEET KAUR
19 Mar 2022 05:45pm
Umno vice president and Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob during his speech at the Umno General Assembly, today. - BERNAMA
Umno vice president and Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob during his speech at the Umno General Assembly, today. - BERNAMA
A
A
A

KUALA LUMPUR: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob has given assurance that the "Malaysian government will defend Sabahans" from the so-called claims made by the Sulu Sultan's heirs.

During his speech at the Umno General Assembly today, he said Putrajaya has filed an application to strike out the case at the French Arbitration Court in Paris.

"We have filed for the case to be struck out," he said which was greeted with an applause from the floor.

"To the people of Sabah, do not worry. We will protect Sabahans from such claims," he added.

The French court recently ordered Malaysia to pay approximately RM62.59 billion (US$14.92 billion) to the so-called descendants of the last Sultan of Sulu.

Putrajaya has so far said Malaysia does not recognise the court's decision as the appointment of the arbitrator, Dr Gonzalo Stampa, had been revoked and is no longer legally valid.

“On June 29, 2021, at the request of the government, the Madrid Court revoked the appointment of Dr Stampa as the arbitrator, and all actions and decisions made by Dr Stampa are null and void," defacto law minister Datuk Seri Dr Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar was reported saying.

Related Articles:
More Like This