MACC detains CEO, company director for misappropriation of RM100 million PenjanaKerjaya funds - source

18 Jul 2022 07:53pm
MACC sources further said the duo was arrested in Kuala Lumpur at lunchtime yesterday.
MACC sources further said the duo was arrested in Kuala Lumpur at lunchtime yesterday.
A
A
A
SHAH ALAM - The Malaysian Anti Corruption Commission has detained a company CEO and a director for misappropriation of RM100 million in funds involving the PenjanaKerjaya scheme under the Social Security Organisation (Socso).

According to sources, the two individuals, a woman and a man in their 40s, were arrested at 1.30 pm under Ops Hire held with Socso.

"They are believed to have submitted invoices for the Employment Recruitment Incentive Programme (PenjanaKerjaya) with false details to Socso amounting to about RM700,000 under the National Economic Recovery Plan," it said referring to the economic plan to help employers and employees affected by Covid-19 pandemic.

"The company's director, a man, was remanded until Thursday (July 21) while the woman (CEO) was released after her statement was recorded," said the source.

MACC senior director of investigation Datuk Seri Hishamuddin Hashim confirmed the arrest and said the case was being investigated under Section 18 of the MACC Act 2009.

He said the Ops Hire operation and investigations were still ongoing and did not rule out the possibility of several more arrests being made in the near future.

On July 14, the MACC detained 37 individuals in several states to assist with investigations into the issue and three more individuals were detained in Johor and Penang a day later on the same case.

So far, 42 individuals have been arrested through Ops Hire.

Meanwhile, in PUTRAJAYA, Socso issued a denial that its office here was raided by MACC over the issue of false claims from the PenjanaKerjaya fund involving about RM100 million.
You may also like:


Socso's chief communications and corporate affairs officer Izad Raya in a statement today said a report on a news portal entitled 'MACC picks up 40 employees of the Ministry of Human Resources (KSM), Socso - Sources' published today, was untrue and had tarnished Socso's reputation.

"No raids were made at KSM or Socso," he said, adding that Socso regretted it was not contacted in advance to confirm the facts before the news was published.

He said although the portal had corrected the facts in the news later, (but) the initial news published stating that Socso employees were detained by the MACC in Ops Hire relating to false PenjanaKerjaya claims, had gone viral on social media and popular messaging app WhatsApp.

He asserted that Socso always upheld integrity when helping target groups in need. - Bernama