Kelantan murder cases up more than 100 per cent from January to April - Police
State police chief Datuk Mohd Yusoff Mamat said five murder cases have been recorded to date, up from just one case last year.

KOTA BHARU - Kelantan police have voiced concern over a sharp rise in murder cases, which increased by over 100 per cent between January and April this year compared with the same period last year.
State police chief Datuk Mohd Yusoff Mamat said five murder cases have been recorded to date, up from just one case last year.
"It is difficult for us to ascertain the exact cause, as not all murder cases are linked to drug influence. For instance, there are cases of fights that end in murder even though the suspects tested negative for drugs.
"This increase is very worrying. Based on observations, a lack of strong faith and religious belief is among the main factors that cause individuals to be easily influenced by anger, leading them to act violently and lose judgment,” he told a press conference after the Kelantan Police Contingent monthly assembly here today.
In this regard, he advised the public to be more attentive to the movements of family members and to always monitor their children’s social circles to prevent such crimes from recurring.
Meanwhile, Mohd Yusoff said the state police had successfully solved a murder case involving a 19-year-old disabled man in Kampung Chap Bekelam, Bachok, on April 14.
He said the victim was found unconscious by the roadside at 8.30 am before being taken to the Universiti Sains Malaysia Specialist Hospital here, where he was pronounced dead at 12.55 am on April 15.
"The post-mortem found that the victim died from head injuries caused by blunt force trauma.
"Following that, a special team from the Kelantan Criminal Investigation Department and the Bachok district police headquarters, carried out a series of raids around Kelantan and Selangor,” he said.
Mohd Yusoff said the raids led to the arrest of six men aged between 25 and 52, and a 28-year-old woman, to assist in investigations.
He said police also seized several items, including a car, three motorcycles and six mobile phones, with all suspects remanded from May 10 to May 22 to facilitate investigations under Section 302 of the Penal Code.
In a separate development, Mohd Yusoff said police are completing investigation papers against Pasir Puteh Member of Parliament Datuk Dr Nik Muhammad Zawawi Salleh over a controversial statement alleged to have offended religious sensitivities concerning the companions of the Prophet Muhammad.
He said police have so far received 63 reports from various locations nationwide regarding the issue.
"All complainants have been called to have their statements recorded, and the individual concerned (Nik Zawawi) has also been summoned to assist in the investigation.
"The case is being investigated under Section 298 of the Penal Code and Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998,” he said. - BERNAMA
Download Sinar Daily application.Click Here!
