Sabahans urged to build homes away from road reserve, said Bung MoktarASYIKIN ASMIN
KINABATANGAN -- Some 50 houses were identified to be demolished and its inhabitants ordered to move to make way for the Pan Borneo Highway construction project in the district.
Sabah Deputy Chief Minister cum Works Minister Datuk Seri Bung Moktar Radin said the government have already prepared land in the district for these families to rebuild their homes.
"Some 50 homes were identified and ordered to move to make way for the project.
"The residents of these homes need to move because the government has provided land for them to rebuild their homes back In Kota Kinabatangan," he said to the press after attending a briefing related to the development of road infrastructure and water supply in Kinabatangan here on Wednesday (January 5).
Bung Moktar also advised fellow Sabahans not to build houses or buildings arbitrarily on road reserves.
This is to ensure that the state government have adequate space to widen the road in the future.
"When road traffic increases in the future, roads needed to be widened in certain areas to ensure the comfort of road users.
"Road reserve cannot be occupied, if they (the rakyat) understand, they should have built their homes away from the roads.
"When homes are nicely built, the (compensation) cost will not be made based on the price of the homes but based on the government's capabilities,'' he said.
Previously, Bung Moktar, who is also the Kinabatangan MP also informed that road construction projects are being carried out in Tongod.
"Among them is the road connecting Linayukan in Tongod and Sinaron in Keningau worth RM320 million and due to be launched after Aildifitri this year.
"With this well-paved and well-built road network, it will certainly be a catalyst to the surrounding economy and it can connect Ranau, Kota Kinabalu, Kinabatangan and Pensiangan districts," he said.
In attendance with Bung Moktar is Kinabatangan District Officer, Abdul Manap Abdul Rahim.