Convene Negeri assembly now to test MB mandate, Tok Mat tells Aminuddin

Mohamad, who is state Barisan Nasional chief, said the state legislative assembly which was due to sit in April, was the best venue for Aminuddin to confirm if he still had the mandate to lead the state government.

AGENCY
22 May 2026 06:47pm
Barisan Nasional deputy chairman Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan said Datuk Seri Aminuddin Harun needs to convene a meeting of the state legislative assembly to gauge if he still enjoys the majority support to remain as Negeri Sembilan Menteri Besar. Photo by Bernama
Barisan Nasional deputy chairman Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan said Datuk Seri Aminuddin Harun needs to convene a meeting of the state legislative assembly to gauge if he still enjoys the majority support to remain as Negeri Sembilan Menteri Besar. Photo by Bernama

SEREMBAN: Datuk Seri Aminuddin Harun needs to convene a meeting of the state legislative assembly to gauge if he still enjoys the majority support to remain as Negeri Sembilan Menteri Besar, says Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan.

Mohamad, who is state Barisan Nasional deputy chairman, said the state legislative assembly which was due to sit in April, was the best venue for Aminuddin to confirm if he still had the mandate to lead the state government.

"We are a democracy and we have laws.

"The right thing for the MB to do is to seek the consent of the Yang di-Pertuan Besar and then call for a meeting of the assembly," he told reporters after opening the SMK Sri Sendayan annual sports day at the RMAF stadium here.

Mohamad said that the call carries no malice but Aminuddin should act professionally to clear any doubts regarding his leadership support.

He was asked to comment on the move by Aminuddin's administration to postpone the assembly meeting after its opening by state Ruler Tuanku Muhriz Tuanku Munawir on April 23.

The three-day meeting of the legislative assembly was scheduled to begin on April 27.

Aminuddin has since said the meeting would be held within six months from the official opening of the assembly on April 24.

On April 27, 14 Barisan assemblymen from Umno withdrew support for Aminuddin claiming a loss of confidence in his leadership for his alleged mishandling of the state royal crisis.

However, following a decision of the Umno-Pakatan Harapan leadership consultative council, they agreed to maintain support for the state unity government.

Mohamad, who had served as MB for three terms previously, said if Aminuddin no longer enjoyed the support of the majority of the assemblymen, he should seek the Ruler's consent to dissolve the state assembly and return the mandate to the people to elect who they wished.

"What is clear is that the four Undang (ruling chieftains) have lost confidence in his leadership.

"One also has to be able to read the signs from above and below (the people) if they still want you to remain as MB," he said.

Citing an example, Mohamad said after Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim was appointed by the King to become Prime Minister, he sought a vote of confidence in Parliament, which was supported by the majority of MPs.

Mohamad refused to comment if Barisan would seek to table a vote of no confidence against Aminuddin when the next sitting is called.

On a separate matter, Mohamad said two new government schools will be built in Bandar Sri Sendayan to cater to the increasing student population.

"The PM has approved my application for the construction of one new primary and one secondary school in Bandar Sri Sendayan.

"Each school will have 36 classrooms apart from other facilities such as a hall," he said, adding that tenders for the projects would be finalised soon.

Mohamad said there were currently two primary and two secondary schools in the area but all four were facing overcrowding due to an increase in population in the township.

Due to this, some parents were forced to send their children to school as far as Lukut in Port Dickson. - THE STAR

Download Sinar Daily application.Click Here!

More Like This